Your hair is your crowning glory. It's one of the first things people notice about you, and it can affect your overall appearance and self-confidence. The first thing that comes to our mind when we think of hair is, how it looks. We all want to have healthy and lustrous hair that can envy everyone around us. That's why it's important to take good care of your hair and scalp. While we may not be able to control the genes that we have inherited, there are definitely things that we can do to take care of our hair and make it look its best. This is where ayurvedic hair care comes in.
If you are looking for a more natural and holistic approach to your hair care regimen, then ayurvedic practices are definitely worth trying out. According to Ayurveda, hair is considered a vital tissue closely linked to both bone marrow and the central nervous system. So, caring for our hair starts from the inside and depends upon our overall state of balance, nourishment, and well-being. Ayurveda teaches us that the way to remain healthy, balanced, and vibrant—inside and out—is to align our rhythms with the rhythms of Nature.
The way to do this is by following a daily routine that suits our unique constitution and remains in harmony with the current season, incorporating an Ayurvedic diet, herbs, and nourishing self-care practices. Starting a daily routine and tending to your overall state of balance is the first step to Ayurvedic hair care. From there, you can begin to add in additional practices to specifically support a head of shiny, lustrous looks.
Tips for the right hair care routine.
Here are 10 tips that can help you get the gorgeous hair you have always wanted:
1) Apply oil to your hair and scalp at least twice a week.
Massaging the hair and scalp with herbal oils is an Ayurvedic practice that has been used for centuries to maintain thick and healthy hair. This practice provides deep conditioning and nourishment, while also calming the mind and encouraging restful sleep.
Ayurvedic hair oil is a wonderful choice to nourish and rejuvenate the hair. It contains natural ingredients like Amalaki, Brahmi, and Bhringraj—three powerful herbs to promote strong hair. If you leave the oil in your hair overnight, place a towel over your pillow to protect your linens.
You can buy Ayurvedic Hair Oil or prepare it at home with the help of Ayurvedic powders. The blend of a few powders like,
Methi Powder (https://www.refreshyourlife.in/blog/methi-fenugreek-powder-benefits-for-body-skin-and-hair)
and Amla powder(https://www.refreshyourlife.in/blog/7-amazing-benefits-of-amla-to-acquire-this-winter-season) is very beneficial.
2) Take herbs that support hair health.
Ayurveda believes that healthy hair is the result of a healthy body and so taking the right care of your body is of utmost importance.
Ayurvedic tablets are very effective in taking overall care of the body. They cure indigestion, cleanse the liver and support robust hair growth.
3) Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo.
Ayurvedic shampoos are the best way to keep your scalp free from toxins. They are gentle cleansers which not only clean the scalp but also nourish it. A few Ayurvedic herbs have powerful cleansing properties that wash off build-ups from the scalp and condition the hair.
You can make your own Ayurvedic shampoo with various natural herbs. Mostly Shikaki powder and Aritha powder are used for making homemade herbal shampoo. You can also add Aloe vera powder as it is a natural conditioner.
We all have varying degrees of normal, oily, or dry hair, and you may not need to wash your hair as often as you think. The more frequently the hair is washed, the more oil gets produced, requiring it to be washed more often. It’s a cycle! For many people, washing their hair 2–3 times per week is plenty.
4) Massage your scalp. While oiling and washing your hair, massaging your scalp in an invigorating way to relax. This can stimulate circulation to the hair follicles and encourage hair growth. You can use the tips of your fingers or a rubber scalp stimulator.
5) Avoid chemicals in your hair products. Just like anything that we apply to our skin, these chemicals get directly absorbed through the scalp and enter the bloodstream. Choosing herbal products or making your own keeps such harmful chemicals away and gives your hair a natural glow.
6) Braid long hair before bed. If you have long hair, tying it into a loose braid at night will prevent it from getting tangled or damaged while you sleep.
7) Avoid heat styling. Over time, blow drying your hair can cause damage, dryness, and split ends. Let your hair dry naturally as often as you can and then brush with long strokes from the scalp to the ends. This helps to distribute natural, healthy oils evenly throughout your hair.
8) Strengthen your bones. According to Ayurveda, hair is a product of bone tissue. When we nourish the bones, we indirectly nourish the hair. Foods like sesame seeds, almonds, leafy greens, broccoli, lentils, whole grains, organic dairy, and pineapple are all excellent for keeping your hair strong and healthy.
9) Apply a hair mask. Hair masks are to hair what food is to the body. Regular applying hair masks is very crucial to keep hair soft, manageable and glowing. Here we have one DIY hair mask for you to try.
- Mix 2 tablespoons amalaki powder, 1 tablespoon aritha powder,1 tablespoon shikakai powder, 1 tablespoon brahmi powder with water until it forms a thin consistency.
- Apply this paste from the roots to the tips of your hair, let it sit for 30 minutes, and then thoroughly rinse.
- Your hair will shine radiantly!
10) Keep your stress levels in check. Excess stress and anxiety can cause vata and pitta doshas to increase, leading to hair loss and premature greying. Once stress is addressed, hair can literally regain its strength, lustre, and shine.
Daily stress management practices may include practising meditation, yoga, pranayama (Alternate Nostril Breathing), and walking in nature. It’s also important to get adequate restful sleep at night to allow the body time to restore and rejuvenate.
How Ayurveda hair care is beneficial?
There are a number of benefits of following an Ayurvedic hair care routine.
- It helps to cleanse and detoxify the scalp, which in turn stimulates hair growth.
- It strengthens the roots and shafts of the hair, thereby preventing hair fall.
- It conditions the hair and keeps it looking soft and shiny.
- It is completely natural and chemical-free.
- It protects the hair from environmental damage.
Summing it up:
If you are looking for a more natural and holistic approach to getting gorgeous hair, then ayurvedic hair care is definitely worth a try!
Ayurvedic oils, powders and tablets are completely free from harmful chemicals and address the root cause of an issue. Pamper your hair in a gentle way with Ayurveda.